As I wrote recently there is likely to be a similar pattern of investments and then later acquisitions that mirror the last big wave of the Cloud trend.
For a while it went by the moniker Utility Computing, and Sun, IBM et al all got very busy buying up various start-ups that allowed them to flesh out the details of a data-centre automation platform that fulfilled this vision.
Cisco investing in Apptio is an example of this trend repeating itself in this version, populating their Unified Computing program, again with the same key messages of efficiencies through automation, alignment with Business Value etc.
It’s likely they will become highly acquisitive over the next year or two to maximize this effect. We are positioning ‘VM Aware’ within this context.
- Tech Data Opens Cisco Unified Computing System B- And C-Series Data Center (eon.businesswire.com)
- IronBrick Recognized by Cisco as Data Center Unified Computing Authorized Technology Provider in the United States (eon.businesswire.com)
- The Cisco Borderless Challenge (datacenterknowledge.com)
- Intact launches Cisco UCS support drive (channelweb.co.uk)
- Cisco’s New Data Center Architecture (datacenterknowledge.com)
- Avnet Certified as Cisco’s First Unified Computing System C-Series Authorized Configurator in U.S. and Canada (eon.businesswire.com)
- Unified Computing – The Evolution of Computing as a Platform (blogs.cisco.com)